Sunday 21 August 2011

Importance of Communication

We should always ask ourselves questions on why we are doing certain things/actions in life. 
We should determine their true purpose and decide whether it is important or not to accomplish them.

So now we ought to ask ourselves this question: why is developing communication skills important for us?

It is as simple as it looks; we live in a world that relies on communication. From telling our parents that we are hungry during childhood to performing a live speech in front of millions of people, we need those skills to effectively deliver the message. In every situation, we (as creators of the message) are supposed to find a way to get the message through to the audience. This requires communication skills.

Every person we are talking to is the audience. Since each person is different, it requires us to find a different way to interact with him/her. If I were to organize a trip with my friend, there should always be a mean of communication between us. It does not need to be formal, but it needs to be clear because we (my friend and I) do not want to end up separated in different countries. If I were to talk with my superior (Manager, boss, CEO, Prof, etc ...), using any communication channel (e-mail, phone, face to face interaction), it is important to be formal. Thus, to determine how to deliver a message, we need communication skills.

It becomes harder when the audience is unknown to us (when sending our resumes to a recruiter). It is also difficult to adapt in different situations and contexts. Finally, if our audience includes more than one person, how can we arrange to get the message through without having to separate each person and persuade each one of them in a different manner? 



To get behind this podium, we need communication skills.

Good communication skills will turn every obstacle that society throws at us into a mere insignificant and unnoticeable setback. It makes it easier for us to achieve our goals through efficient and strong communication. This is why we need good communication skills.



6 comments:

  1. Yo, man you have good english!! I like your style of writing, and yup after reading what you write, I'm totally convinced that we need good communication skills. (Not that I wasn't already convinced before I started reading, but that's besides the point:) ) Just one thing: you write about why we need good communication skills, but I feel as if it should have been more personal, like why YOU yourself need these skills. Just my opinion though. If you don't agree, do tell me why :) I still dunno how to upload pics onto my blog, gonna have to learn. Looks good with pics man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!!

    Your blog is easy to read, simple and not in big chucks of text. I like the way you subtly brought in the idea of effective communication.

    I agree to your statement on each individual has different way to communicate. You don't want to appear too relax or friendly towards your employer. Nor be text your friend in a memo style. Maybe to add on, you could include some non verbal communications in your example.

    It will be nice if you have included personal experience in your examples. While reading your blog, I subconsciously related the examples to yours. (Have your friends and you landed up in different countries because of communication breakdown??) /:
    I would like to hear about you can achieve your goals with effective communication (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rami,

    I like this quote a lot :"Each water drop in this picture represents a different person. Each person is part of our audience. By connecting with a heterogeneous audience, we form a successful melting pot." LOL

    Now let's look at your story.

    Generally speaking, your essay is well written.
    It's coherent and concise.
    I can follow the story very easily.

    In my opinion, however, there are 2 minor things to take note of:
    1. You can make the sentences "If I was..." more formal by replacing them with "If I were..."
    And I think the latter sounds more familiar also.
    2. I believe much of what you've written here is your real life story.
    However, when you use pronoun 'we', it seems like you've generalized the story.
    If only you had changed 'we' to 'I', your story would have looked more personal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rami, for this well written post. Like the other readers have mentioned, your writing is fluent, coherent, clear and concise. You do a very good job of showing the relevance of comm skills in our lives. Of course, I can infer from that discussion that you need the various skills that you mention, from those involved in organizing a trip with friends to speaking with your boss (the act of which may not always be so formal, depending on your relationship with the boss, right?).

    My question though is the same way I've posed for various other members of our class: Right now, at this moment, is there any skill in particular that you can pinpoint as being something you feel you need to develop? If there is one, why is it important for you?

    In any case, this is a very fine effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Samuel: thanks for your comment. I did not say why it was useful for me because I tried to generalize, I am trying to make it important for me and for the audience. For the Pics, Ask me how after class and I will gladly tell you :)

    @ Tong: Thank you for the comment. You are right, I made the change for (1). As I explained to Sam, I generalized on purpose because why I need communication skills is not different from why you need communication skills. Hence the generalization. I was including myself in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Brad for your comment.
    I see that I should added something about why I need communication skills.

    I have never thought of a specific skill I would like to improve. I usually see there is something wrong with my communication skills so I try to fix anyway I can without really pinpointing the problem.

    Maybe public speaking? Or debating?

    ReplyDelete