Friday 4 November 2011

Reflections On RMR Social Zone Presentation


        One of my biggest weaknesses is to perform a presentation in front of a crowd. I would stress out a lot during the presentation even if I was well prepared and knew my material perfectly. As a result, this caused me to forget some important details. To avoid such an event, a handy piece of paper with important facts of my presentation would be in my possession. 

        To control my stress, I would enter in a state of mind where I am seeing the presentation in front of me without losing touch of the fact that I am presenting in front of a crowd. This would remind me of each step I have to take for the presentation to make it as clear as possible and not forget any important detail. 

        But I have to be honest, that does not always work... I still forget some facts due to the stress, and the piece of paper in my hand would be a source of more stress than relief from it.

        What was special about this presentation is the fact that we had a cohesive group where members helped each other when needed. Moreover, while our main purpose was to achieve this proposal, this did not stop us from socializing and having fun (which is in line with our presentation ;) We want students at NUS to socialize and have fun while keeping up the hard work).

        What I learnt about this project is that nothing can be done without dedicated hard work. You should learn about the context of your proposal, the people you are proposing/presenting to, show that the advantages of your proposal, counter the disadvantages that might be encountered and prove the importance of your proposal by believing in it.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ramy,
    I could really see the great team dynamics between you, Megha and Ramandeep!

    For the presentation itself, I feel that you had too many 'uhms' in between your speech, which made it a little distracting. The projection of your voice could be better as well.

    Perhaps you could summarize the important facts to help you in memorizing them, or structure your presentation to focus on just 2 or 3 points. That way you wouldn't have so much to memorize and can focus more on the delivery. Hope this helps! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rami!

    You seemed a bit nervous and insecure in the beginning, turning around glancing the screen several times, as well as using a lot of eeeers and ummms. Things improved gradually though, I guess you felt more secure after a short ‘warm up’. At least you seemed more secure, using more body language and made more eye contact.

    You could improve the usage of your voice. You spoke kind of in the same tone throughout the entire presentation. By stressing certain words and vary the ‘flow’ in your speech, you could get the audience more engaged, as it makes things sound more interesting rather as if you just want to have things said as fast as possible. Also, think about the use of eeer and ummm. It disturbed the overall impression of your performance quite much.

    Also, you should pay attention to your group mates when they speak. If you don’t, why should we? Now, you started to whisper things to Megha when Ramandeep were performing. That is actually just nothing but rude.

    Finally, you proposed something rather controversial. You must have expected to get some critical questions during the Q/A session. You had quite an aggressive approach towards some of the questioners, as if you could not deal with the critique. Most of the questions were accurate and appropriate, and the best would have been trying to answer them in the best possible way, instead of getting irritated.

    I think you should be proud of yourself, your proposal and your OP. It seemed like you must have had quite a lot of fun when putting everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rami ,

    Congratulations on a well done proposal and presentation. The idea of having a social zone on campus is quite interesting.

    Regarding your own presentation, I felt that perhaps you were going a bit too fast at the start. However, you did settle down to a slower pace later into the presentation.

    Also, I noticed that you look back at the slides often. There were also quite a few fillers like 'um' and 'ah' in your speech. These were present throughout the whole duration of your presentation and had a negative effect. However, your overall delivery and slides were well done.

    Apart from the few points mentioned earlier, I would say that it was a good presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everybody for the comments.

    Anna you were right I should have not talked during megha's part.

    Ramanan I had changed paces because I had a problem in the beginning to remember the introduction and the piece of paper in my hand was confusing me even more. I think the pace got better afterwards because I stopped using the paper on my hand.

    I should also try controlling my ah and uhms...

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Ramy,
    I'm sorry this is my first post on your blog but really, I felt stressed out when I read your posts (the first few) because your command of English is beyond my comprehension. After looking up from my notes, and reading your blog, my eyes would spin and I can't carry on. :P (wondered if I got into the right major)
    Right, I wana thank you for being the happy fruit of this class. :D Enjoyed all the lunch-es I had with you. You made my day. lol Thnks for being there! Carry on shining and all the best for finals!!

    ReplyDelete